How to Prepare for a Trip to the Garden Center
In every season, the allure of a lush, vibrant landscape calls to our inner gardener. Whether it’s the blossoms of spring, the abundance of summer, the vibrant hues of autumn, or the structure of winter, the garden center is your gateway to transforming your outdoor space. Whether you’re a seasoned gardener or a novice looking to add some greenery to your surroundings, a well-prepared visit to the garden center can make all the difference. In this guide, we will walk through the essential steps to ensure a successful trip to Frisella Nursery, complete with the right questions to ask, items to bring, and other information that you may need.
Before your trip to the garden center, think about what characteristics and/or qualities you may be looking for with your new plants. Here are a few things to know and consider beforehand…
- How much sunlight does the area you are wanting to plant get in the morning & in the afternoon?
- What is the drainage in the area like? Does the area collect standing water or drain well?
- What is my soil composition like?
- Mature size & growth rate
- Colors during each season
- Do you want a tree that is flowering or non-flowering?
- Uses (i.e. shade, privacy, etc)
- Maintenance level
- Am I going to plant myself or will I need delivery & installation?
We like to suggest to our clients to bring a rough sketch of their yards along with photos from different angles of the area they are looking to have planted. This sketch should include measurements of your garden or landscape beds, where your home is located, any existing plants or trees that you are wanting to keep or get rid of, and the direction that your home/yard faces.
Take a good look at your landscape and note key details. Measure the available space for planting and assess the soil quality. Understanding your site’s characteristics will help you select the right trees and plants and determine the quantity you need.
Information to Prepare:
- Soil composition
- The amount of sunlight your garden or landscape receives throughout the day.
- Any existing plants or structures that may affect your new additions.
- Drainage – How does water drain through your yard? Is there any standing water?
What to bring with you:
- Current photos of your garden or landscape from different angles of your yard
- A notepad or smartphone for taking notes and photos.
- Measurements of your planting area & a sketch of your garden bed.
Choosing the right plants can be overwhelming so we have created a questionnaire to help you gather your thoughts, wants and needs. You can print, fill it out and bring it with you to your garden center visit so that you don’t forget any details and will help us assist you in the best way.
Garden Center Visit
Now that you’re well-prepared, it’s time to visit the garden center. Here’s what to do when you’re there:
We are here to help YOU make the BEST decision when choosing the right plants for your outdoor living space. Don’t be afraid to ask a Frisella Plant Specialist for advice and information – it’s what we’re here for. Our team members are extremely knowledgeable and passionate about helping our customers choose the right plant and can provide valuable insights into plant care, maintenance, and sustainability for your specific plant needs.
Examples of Questions to Ask:
- Do you have any recommendations for plants that thrive in our local climate and soil conditions?
- What is the best planting method for the trees or plants I am interested in?
- Are there any disease or pest concerns I should be aware of? What signs should I look for?
- How do I properly care for the plants that I am interested in?
Inspect the Plants
Examine the trees and plants carefully. Look for signs of good health, such as vibrant foliage, sturdy stems, and no visible pests or diseases. Avoid plants with wilted leaves or damaged roots.
Most potted plants come with information tags that provide details on care requirements, including sunlight, water, and spacing needs. Pay close attention to these labels and make sure they align with your site assessment.
Making Your Selection
Once you’ve gathered all the necessary information and examined the available options, it’s time to make your selection. Choose trees and plants that fit your landscape vision, taking into account your site conditions, budget and time commitment.
- Consider native plants: Native plants are often well-suited to local conditions and typically require less maintenance. However, many non-native plants can be equally (sometimes, even more) suitable for the climate and less invasive.
- Consider warranties: At Frisella Nursery, we do offer warranties on plants in some circumstances. If you use our delivery and installation services, you will get a 1 year warranty on the plants that we planted.
- Plan for the future: Think about how your landscape will look as your trees and plants mature. Ensure they have enough space to grow without overcrowding.
A well-prepared trip to the garden center can turn your landscape dreams into reality. By doing your research, assessing your site, and asking the right questions, you’ll be well-equipped to make informed decisions when selecting trees and plants for your outdoor space. Remember that our team members at Frisella are valuable resources for you and are ready to help assist you make the best decisions, so please do not hesitate to seek their guidance.
You are always welcome to stop in during business hours but if you want to ensure that one of our plant specialists is available to assist you, consider scheduling a set time to meet with one of them. Call us at (636) 798-2555 or email email@example.com to schedule a time for a plant consultation!